In-Depth Vatican – Private Tour is a fully private tour of Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel, St. Peter’s Basilica and Vatacombs with an official guide.
Duration: approx. 5 hours
Availability: Daily exc. Sun. Tour does not run on public holidays
- The visit begins with the visit to the magnificent Vatican Museums and its most important galleries inside. You’ll also get access to several lesser known rooms of equal or greater magnificence, including Courtyard of the Pinecone, Chiaramonti Museums, Pio-Clementine Museum (Belvedere Courtyard, Room of the Animals, Room of the Muses, Round Room, Greek Cross Room), Gallery of the Candelabra, Gallery of Tapestries, Gallery of Maps, Raphael Rooms (of Constantine, Heliodorus, Signature, and Room of the Fire in the Borgo), Immaculate Conception and Sobieski Rooms in the Apartment of Pius V, Borgia Apartment, Egyptian Museum.
- From the Sistine Chapel, you’ll have right of way through a special exit which leads directly into St. Peter’s Basilica.
- Upon arriving in the church, your guide will discuss Michelangelo’s beautiful Pietà and dome, Bernini’s bronze Baldacchino and Holy Altar, sculpted Papal funerary monuments, and then proceed to explain the diffuse history of how the building as it appears today came into being.
- The Vatacombs (Papal Tombs beneath St. Peter’s, not the Vatican Necropolis) are included if your tour departs in the morning, and you’ll see the Crypt of St. Peter from above.
- The tour concludes on the portico, where we discuss the Swiss Guard and Vatican City State.
This tour includes:
- Priority skip-the-line Vatican tickets
- Licensed private Vatican tour guide
- Private in-depth extended Vatican City tour
- Private in-depth extended Vatican Museums tour
- Private in-depth extended Sistine Chapel tour
- Private in-depth extended St. Peter’s Basilica tour
- Taxi transfer to the train station
- Return train tickets for Rome
Ref.: In Depth Vatican: Private & Extended